Maine Mass Shooting Survivors Refile Lawsuit After Pentagon Watchdog Report Cites Army Negligence

PORTLAND, Maine — The survivors and family members of victims of the deadliest mass shooting in Maine history have refiled their lawsuit against the U.S. government following a new U.S. Department of Defense watchdog report that faults the U.S. Army for a high rate of failure to report violent threats by service members. Eighteen people […]
Survivors of Maine Mass Shooting and Victims' Relatives Sue US Government Alleging Negligence

Survivors of Maine’s deadliest mass shooting and relatives of victims are suing the federal government, alleging that the U.S. Army could and should have stopped one of its reservists from carrying out what they call “one of the most preventable mass tragedies in American history.” Eighteen people were killed in October 2023 when Robert Card […]
Maine Senator Introduces Bill to Study Low-Level Blast Injuries on Military Personnel

U.S. Sen. Angus King (I-Maine) unveiled a bill on Tuesday that would study the impact of “repetitive low-level blast injuries” on the military and how they could impact brain health. The bill, the Precision Health Research Act, co-sponsored by King and U.S. Sen. Jerry Moran (R-Kansas) would be companion legislation to the Blast Overpressure Safety […]
One Year After a Massacre in Maine, Survivors and Loved Ones Search for New Beginnings

LEWISTON, Maine — Ben Dyer was shot five times during Maine’s deadliest mass shooting, when a gunman killed 18 people at a bowling alley and a bar. A year later, Dyer and fiancée Keela Smith want to turn the worst day of their lives into the best. As Lewiston prepares to mark the grim first […]
Army Reserve Suicide Prevention Programs Need Study, Maine Senator Says After Mass Shooting

U. S. Sen. Angus King is urging the federal government’s watchdog agency to conduct a study of suicide prevention policies for reservists in the U.S. military. King, I-Maine, in a letter sent this week to Comptroller General Gene Dodaro of the U.S. Government Accountability Office, also asked the agency to review the investigations into last […]
Maine Army Reserve Shooter's Military Records to Be Turned Over to Victims' Families

BATH — A woman who lost her son and husband in the Lewiston mass shooting was granted legal power to request the gunman’s medical and military records. Cynthia Young was made special administrator over Robert Card’s estate in Sagadahoc County Probate Court on Tuesday, almost a year after Card committed the deadliest mass shooting in […]
Army and Police Missed Chances to Intervene Before Maine Mass Shootings, Final Report Says

LEWISTON, Maine — Both the Army Reserves and local police missed out on opportunities to intervene in a gunman’s psychiatric crisis and seize weapons from the spiraling reservist responsible for the deadliest shootings in Maine history, according to the final report released Tuesday by a special commission created to investigate the attacks, which killed 18 […]
3 Army Officials Punished After Investigation of Maine Reservist's Mass Shooting Finds Numerous Failures

Sgt. 1st Class Robert Card, the Army reservist who went on a shooting rampage in Lewiston, Maine, in October, seemed like a textbook case of someone who needed help. He was hearing voices, became increasingly paranoid, threatened people, and owned guns. Now, months after his deadly mass shooting, Army officials have taken significant punitive measures […]
Commission on Maine Mass Shooting to Question Army Reservist's Medical Providers

The commission investigating the Lewiston mass shooting will hold two virtual public hearings on Thursday to learn more about the medical treatment Robert Card received in New York last summer after he tried to assault a fellow soldier. The group had previously announced it would question an Army nurse practitioner who worked at Kelly Army […]
Army Reservist's Family Describes Struggle to Get Help Before Mass Shooting in Maine

Robert Card, an Army reservist with a history of mental health troubles, committed the deadliest shooting in Maine history, opening fire with an assault rifle inside a bowling alley and a bar and grill in Lewiston in October.
